This isn’t an official update from Valve, but Half-Life 2: Update is a community-made mod that completely overhauls the lighting system of the original. The mod essentially adds modern features such as true dynamic lighting to vastly improve on the quality of the visuals.
Though we loved the visual richness of the popular Cinematic Mod, another exceptional graphical conversion, it didn’t do justice to the character models, especially Alyx, receiving a lot of backlash. The features that have been implemented in the game, according to the developers are as follows:
- Complete lighting overhaul including enhanced lighting, more detailed world shadows, and full High Dynamic Range Lighting (HDR).
- New particle effects and improved fog.
- Countless bug fixes, correcting both visual and game-based issues.
- An extensive Community Commentary Mode featuring the voices of well-known Youtubers, including Caddicarus, Brutalmoose, Ricepirate, Balrog the Master, ProJared, and Ross Scott from Freeman’s Mind.
- Retains the iconic Half-Life 2 visual style and gameplay.
You can head out to the Steam Store page fpr Half-Life 2: Update to download the mod for free and revisit City 17. But do watch this comparison video showcasing the difference between the mods various mods!
Source: PC Gamer
Abhijit "BabuMoshaaye" Dey
This ape-descended life form believed that coming down from the trees was a bad idea until he was introduced to video games. Has spent endless hours playing Prince of Persia, Hitman, Assassin's Creed, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life and Left 4 Dead. This makes it three sentences, Half-Life 3 confirmed.