Along with PUBG, other titles such as GTA V, Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey and CD Projekt Red also won awards in several other categories.
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has been declared the overall Game of the Year at the 2018 Steam Awards. The game acquired the title by pretty much outshining other popular games like Monster Hunter: World, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Hitman 2, Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey.
Valve’s third annual Steam Awards was live-streamed recently on their website. The 17-minute Award show was rather uncanny and featured no host or any traditional frills of an industry event. Instead, the setup was presented with more of trailer montages and voice-overs to announce nominees and winners. The actual voting was held back in early December 2018 alongside Steam’s 12th Annual Winter Sale where Valve had asked its community to vote for games in various categories. The categories included Game of the Year, Best Developer, VR Game of the Year, Best Environment, and more. All the voting participants were rewarded with a set of digital trading cards as a thank you gesture.
Going by the popularity of PUBG on all platforms and especially considering it was in the top-selling games on the Steam marketplace for 2018, it was a no-brainer that PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds would win Game of the Year.
That being said among all the categories, Best Developer proved to be a very highly contested category with a marginal difference between the nominees. So the following note was displayed on the website below the Best Developer category: “Best Developer proved to be a highly-contested category with a lot of close calls among the top nominees,” Valve explained at the time, expanding on why there were so many shortlisted for this particular category. “As a result, we expanded the set of nominees to ten. In addition, we’ve excluded Valve (ourselves) from this category.”
The full list of winners along with the runners-up is as follows:
- Game of the Year: Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds (runner-ups: Monster Hunter: World, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Hitman 2, Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey)
- VR Game of the Year: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR (runner-ups: VR Chat, Beat Saber, Fallout 4 VR, Superhot VR)
- Labor of Love: Grand Theft Auto 5 (runner-ups: No Man’s Sky, Path of Exile, Dota 2, Stardew Valley)
- Best Developer: CD Projekt Red (runner-ups: Ubisoft, Bethesda, Rockstar, Digital Extremes, Square Enix, Capcom, Paradox Interactive, Bandai Namco, Klei)
- Best Environment: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (runner-ups: Subnautica, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry 5, Dark Souls 3)
- Better With Friends: Rainbow Six Siege (runner-ups: Payday 2, Dead By Daylight, CS: GO, Overcooked! 2)
- Best Alternate History: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (runner-ups: Wolfenstein 2, Hearts of Iron 4, Civilization 6, Fallout 4)
- Most Fun With a Machine: Rocket League (runner-ups: Euro Truck Simulator 2, Nier: Automata, Factorio, Space Engineers)
The Steam 2018 Awards video below was reposted by Steam made by GamersPrey which also features some “thank you” clips from developers.